The overall goal of becoming an active bystander is to strengthen the role and ability of persons to save lives by taking a few, specific helping actions when at the scene of an unexpected emergency.
Learn how to:
- Respond to a manmade disaster, natural disaster, or any other life-threatening emergency.
- Provide basic initial care and other assistance to supervisors prior to the arrival of uniformed emergency responders. This includes learning how to help someone who is:
- has a blocked airway;
- not breathing;
- has a burn;
- has hyperthermia;
- is drowning.
- Offer support and comfort to individuals harmed by the emergency.
- Convey information and collaborate with emergency responders.
- Identify additional training, tools and other resources to enhance their response skills.